Friday, July 31, 2009

My Parents Won't Let Me Move Out

Today a woman says she has a question about her friend. Her friend wants to move out of her parents house and come and live with her, but her parents won't let her. Can they do that? Can they make her keep on living with them? "How old is she?" I asked. "She's 35." O.k., now I'm sitting there trying to figure out why I being asked such an obiously silly question, I mean there's gotta be more to it, right? . "Is she mentally handicapped in some way or been deemed incompetent by a judge or doctor?". "No, she's fine. They just don't like the idea of her moving out, and they say they aren't gonna let her."

I'm still thinking maybe there's more to this somehow and she's actually housebound or some type of medical case, or something....I mean why else would she be calling me asking me this?
"Is there any reason that ANYONE would have ordered her to live with her parents?" "No", she replies.

After more talking along the same lines and further questioning, I came to the conclusion that this chick is just really that........out of touch maybe? I don't know how to describe my opinion on that one without being a bit condescending.

After exhaustive questioning I finally tell her. If she's an adult and there's no reason she can't take care of herself, then she's a big girl now and she can move out if she wants to. And she's like, "Oh, O.K., that's what I thought."

Says thanks and hangs up.

If you're sittin here shakin your head like I was, don't ask me where this stuff comes from. But I get em all the time.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like this woman came from a toxic and controlling family. Some parents don't want to let go of their kids. The kid may have grown up into an adult that's very guilt-ridden, lacks self-confidence or thinks that her parents feelings matter over hers.

    I was in a similar situation where my mom didn't want me to move out, and I felt obligated by her anger to stay. I wish more people understood how hard it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same situation for my fiancee, 26 and still trying to move out of his parents whom won't allow him to leave because he needs to get married first instead of living with me like we are planning. I understand he is the only child but he is 26 YEARS old get a life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exactly whats happening to me too, I'm 20 yrs old and my dad won't let me leave. I packed mystuff and went to my car trying to leave the house but he wont let me. I don't even know what else to do.

    ReplyDelete