Sunday, July 26, 2009

Skinny-Dipper Aggravates Neighbors

Amazingly enough, today was actually pretty uneventful. I did get one call that made me laugh though. A lady calls me up just as she's pulling into her driveway. Her problem was with her neighbor. As she's driving down her street just before lunchtime, she passes her neighbor's house to see him out in his back yard completely naked. Apparently he has a pool and loves to swim in the nude. After questioning her further, she goes on to tell me how this is actually a frequent problem and how they like to have skinny-dipping parties on the weekend. I loved her attitude though, she was pretty laid back about it. I could certainly see some old ladies calling me and going ballistic, but this lady was saying "Ya know, that's fine if he wants to swim naked, but he has a tall privacy fence and it'd be nice if he just shut his gate first so everybody else wouldn't have to see". Well we sent an officer out there and asked him to please keep his gate shut and put some shorts on.

In another call, a man was reporting a male subject who was very busy fighting his shadow. The guy tried to talk to him but he just ignored him and kept on swinging. Turns out though we're actually very familiar with this guy and he really is about as looney as it gets. We get calls on him all the time because his behavior is quite bizarre and frequently scares people. I told the guy so far he's been pretty harmless. The only person he's seemed to try to hurt is his shadow as far as I know. I then told him I'd send an officer and we'd have the guy move on. This is actually a pretty common call, there are alot more people with severe mental issues than most people would believe. We even have a ten code dedicated just to describing someone with mental issues.

Other calls taken today:

House burglary, A/C window units taken

More people selling puppies in a parking lot

Couple vehicle accidents, one had minor injuries

Another burglar alarm

Couple medical calls

Another divorcing couple with money disputes

And last but not least, a man called me telling me he wanted to commit suicide. He was extremely upset and this was more of a "call for help" type call. I stayed on the phone with him and let him talk about his problems until officers arrived. I believe he was later taken to a mental hospital.

And that's another day in the life of a 911 operator.

1 comment: