Monday, July 27, 2009

Naked Man Loves his Vodka

Today was an extremely busy day. Although I was answering calls left and right, almost all my calls today were typical or routine.

The call featured today is actually not a funny one, but unfortuately a rather sad story. A woman called me up very frustrated about the situation with her neighbor. He is an elderly man apparently going into the first stages of dementia. This woman became involved simply out of compassion for his well being. She said he doesnt seem to have anybody to care for him, and he has stopped being able to care for himself. He frequently falls down and is unable to get back up. He has also stopped feeding himself and has taken to just walking around naked, drinking vodka. This is not uncommon (the dementia part I mean, the naked vodka drinking is a first for me though) as people get into their final years, our minds go and we eventually revert back to being like children, needing the attention and direction of a parent or caregiver.

In this case, I told her that we could send an officer to check on him to see if he was o.k. for now, and if he was in decent shape, Adult Protective Services would have to decide what action would be taken later on. But, as it turned out, the officer got there to find that he needed immediate medical attention, and an ambulance was called. So, I think this fellow is very fortunate in that he had neighbor who felt enough compassion to get herself involved and got him the care he needs. At this point, I'm sure he's going to be headed to a long term care facility or nursing home. But, it will be for the best. If this woman had not got involved, we no doubt would have been responding later on to a death call.

So for now, he's headed to a better place, but unfortunately for him, his naked vodka drinking days are probably over.

I'm going into my days off, but I want to keep this going every day. So, the next 3 days I'll be posting some of my favorites from over the years. Catch-ya then....

No comments:

Post a Comment